This Monday I was invited to attend a dinner party in Huntington, NY. Of course I could have just showed up with a bottle of wine, but since my friend is a big foodie I wanted to contribute something a little more thoughtful. I knew she was preparing an assortment of burgers including veggie, chicken and beef as well as dessert, which was a homemade cookies & cream and coffee ice cream cake. One of the girls going was making her signature salad, another one was making her special bruschetta and another was making her delicious almond sesame cookies (my favorite of the two) and lemon ricotta cookies. I decided I wanted to make a side dish to accompany the burgers using…. QUINOA!! I absolutely love quinoa and have been wanting to come up with a few recipes, so I concocted my first official one this Monday 🙂
Sweet Beet Quinoa Salad
serving size: approximately 6-8
-1 c of quinoa (I used the Trader Joe’s tri-color quinoa)
– 2 c of water
– 3 beets (roasted or boiled)
– 2 handfuls of organic baby spinach
– 1/2 red onion
– 1/2 c of cranberries
– 1/2 c of walnuts
– 1 lemon
– 1 tbsp of vinegar (I used Bragg’s raw apple cider vinegar)
– 1 tsp of coconut oil
– 1 tsp of turmeric
– 1 tsp of black pepper
1. Rinse quinoa then bring to boil 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water in a pot. Cover quinoa and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes on low heat. ** Once it is cooked, remove from stove and set aside.
2. Chop 1/2 red onion, 3 beets, and 2 handfuls of spinach separately
3. In a skillet, melt 1 tsp of coconut oil. Add onions and wait until they brown a bit, then add beets.
4. Stir onions and beets around and then add spinach.
5. In a large bowl combine quinoa, walnuts, cranberries. Stir and then slowly pour in onion, beets and spinach. Stir it all together, add vinegar, the juice of one lemon, and spices.
6. Taste it and be prepared to impress the guests
What are your favorite quinoa combinations?